A sovereign Europe – Fiction or reality? Challenges and opportunities for the EU’s strategic autonomy
A joint event by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Jelen magazine and Political Capital
Date: May 19th, 2021
Location: online event
Language: Hungarian (with Hungarian translation)
During the Trump-era and after the outbreak of the pandemic, the European Union shifted its focus to challenges such as open and fair trade relations, multilateralism, supply chain threats, and climate change. This brought the concept of strategic autonomy at the forefront of EU discourses on foreign relations. However, there is no consensus among Member States on what European strategic autonomy means and what its challenges and opportunities are.
- What does strategic autonomy mean for EU Member State?
- How does the pursuit of strategic autonomy affect the EU's relations with our allies and third countries?
- What opportunities and constraints can multilateralism face after the pandemic?
- In which areas can the EU strengthen its role internationally?
- What does strategic autonomy mean for EU security and defense cooperation?
- Where will EU industrial policy and environmental strategy go in the coming years?
We are going to discuss these problemsets and questions with our panelists.
10:00-10:05 Welcome speech
János Molnár, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
Péter Krekó, Political Capital
10:05-10:15 What changes can we expect from the EU’s new approach?
Zsófia Wolford, Political Capital
10:15-11:00 The future of EU-USA relations in the face of the EU’s strategic autonomy efforts
Pál Dunay – Associate Professor, ELTE TáTK
Eszter Zalán – Journalist, EUbserver
Moderator: Dóra Ónody-Molnár – Jelen magazine
To attend the event, please register on the following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4916201329641/WN_ZDi4NM2QQzeCVdSOeYFsNA